7/12 Chapel Serve Day

This Saturday I was able to help serve a local single mom by leading a couple guys in a serve day project through The Chapel Church. This project was to replace the front steps on her porch, they were old and starting to show signs of wear. When we took the deck boards off we realized the stringers underneath themselves were not enough so we added some beams there to increase their strength. Once that was done we cut and screwed in new deck boards. This took us a few hours to complete, in the July heat before the afternoon rain shower hit. We were cleaning up as it was about to rain. I am very grateful for the two guys that I served with, they had most of the tools and completed most of the work I cannot take the credit for completing this work. 


That was the work we physically did, before that started everyone doing the serve day met at the Chapel for worship and a devotional. There was over 1,000 people doing serve day. The sanctuary was packed, standing room only. The worship was powerful, it was something to stand in a room full of believers worshiping Jesus and excited to go out and serve our community. The devotional was on John 13:4-15, these versus tell us about how Jesus washed his disciples feet. He served his disciples versus having others serve him. The analogy for the 21st century of washing feet, is washing a toilet and a toilet bowl brush was used as a prop. There are a lot of similarities between washing feet and toilet cleaning,  back in Jesus’ day they wore sandals, probably stepped in poop often, Jesus used a basin or bowl, and there was water involved. We were challenged to go out and wash peoples toilets in the community, whether literally or figuratively.


After we cleaned up before the rain came the four of us (mom and three of us serving) prayed, we prayed for her as a person, a child of God, and as a mother of two children.


I personally really enjoyed the serve day, it was my first time leading a service project and enjoyed interacting with the homeowner and the guys. Next time I will start planning a little earlier, as I procrastinated a little bit on this one. I think there was a missed prayer opportunity on my part, at one point the homeowner’s neighbor came over and was talking with her and I said hello. I think that would’ve been an opportunity to pray with her neighbor. Another missed opportunity would have been to talk more with the homeowner, ask about her faith and Jesus and see if there are any roadblocks on her path of following Jesus or put a stone in her shoes as Koukl says.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9/27 Pride Fest Evangelizing

8/8 Jehovahs Witness Knocks on my Door

Statement of Faith