8/10 Big Gay Watermelon Festival
I arrived at the pre-event meeting space a couple minutes after 1 pm. I sat down on the curb to finish my apple, pray, and re-read my pre-witnessing checklist. The other guys were not there by 1:15 so I decided that something must have come up for them and I went in to the event solo. For context Sundays I take a digital fast, meaning no phone, iPad, computer etc.
The event was the big gay watermelon festival in Scott's Addition, from 12 to 5 pm on Sunday 8/10. I wore my Jesus Won t-shirt, and my goal was to go talk with people, pray with people, and put pebbles in shoes. The scripture I had in mind for my heart posture is 1 Peter 3:15-16 "in your hearts regard Christ the Lord as holy, ready at anytime to give a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you. Yet do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that when you are accused, those who disparage your good conduct in Christ will be put to shame."
The first vendor I talked with was a leather worker, doing BDSM type work. I made small talk about the craft, asking how she got into it. I found it easier to talk with people at this event because it was basically a farmers market, people made all kinds of things and I asked people about their crafts. This first booth I asked them if they knew Jesus and if I could pray with them. They said no, so I told them to have a good day and moved onto the next booth. The next booth I stopped at sold crystals, incense, candles and I got into talking to her about her religion she was telling me about her crystal and what it means. At that point the organizer of the event came up to me and told me to come with him. I asked him why and that I was having a conversation with with someone. He told me it was a private event and they can ask anyone to leave, if I stayed after being told to leave I would be trespassing (emphasize is what I was thinking). He said someone reported to him they felt uncomfortable with me asking if I can pray with them. He offered to talk with me about outside of the event about religion and the hurt it has caused. A said I would like that and I gave him a business card that has my mobile number on it, I had some doubts afterwards if that was the right thing to do as it was a business card to it has my work email and location. I asked if people are open can I pray with people, he said no because to find out if they are comfortable I would have to ask. At this point I decided to talk with people and look for openings to discuss religion and ultimately Jesus.
I went around to booths and talked with them asking them about their items and craft, being kind and friendly. And if they had religious symbols or items I asked questions about it. There are two conversations I will share.
First, I met a lady who said she was a witch, a pagan I believe, who is a counselor and is getting her seminary certificate with UU currently. I asked her about the terms they used on the counseling brochure and her seminary time. I feel I could have asked more about church, she said UU is a church that is accepting of all religions (pluralism). I did check with her to make sure she felt comfortable talking about church.
The second conversation was less of a conversation and more of a person ranting at me, being hostile. Time was wrapping up for me (I planned to stay for an hour) so I was walking around to see if any one booth or person stood out to me. This person ask me what is my deal (referencing the Jesus Won shirt), I shared that I am here to have conversations with people and learn more about this community. He said you know what "that" implies, your religion says homosexuality is a sin and I'm going to hell. I responded that I am a sinner too, I am not perfect I still make mistakes. Looking back I think I should have asked him more questions because he shut me off after I said that. I tried to come back later, I asked him if he minded if I look at what he was selling and he said yes he does mind so I listened and did not.
As I left the building I prayed for everyone there, for their salvation. It was a weird feeling in the building, there was a noticeable heavy ness when I entered inside that I didn't feel for the street vendors.
After thoughts:
One religious symbol was the Egyptian cross, the cross but with the female symbol. Does that mean this person was Christian?
I think with the first booth I started off too forward, I asked if they knew Jesus and if I could pray for them without any discussion on religion. This showed me I need to work on being content just planting or watering and letting God do the growing. "I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God has been making it grow." 1 Corinthians 3:6
There is a lot of religious hurt and trauma in the LGBTQ+ community, I should look into more formal teaching than you tube videos/vlogs. STRU, cross examined?
Is it okay or safe for me to go out witnessing or evangelism on Sundays when I don't use my phone? Should I carry my phone and switch the fast day?
I found this event a lot easier than the parade because everyone had a booth of something they made, allowing me to have at least one thing I could start up a conversation about.
Comments
Post a Comment